The CSIRO Industry PhD Program (iPhD) is a research training program, focusing on applied research that benefits industry by solving real-world challenges. Apply today to undertake an exciting project at the University of Adelaide.
Screening of new sorbent formulations and materials for PFAS remediation
Australia is faced with a big contamination problem relating to chemicals used in firefighting foams, called per and polyfluoroalkyl substances or PFAS. PFAS are a large group of chemicals, with over 5000 different species. Their complexity has posed a challenge with existing remediation approaches based on sorbents, with varying success achieved for different PFAS species. For example, current sorbents available in the market cannot effectively immobilise short-chain PFAS.
This Project aims to screen different materials including minerals or by products of some industries for PFAS removal and combine them in RemBindformulation. It will also include some surface modification based on published literatures to improve the efficiency of RemBindfor short-chain PFAS removal. The final material will be effective for removal of a wider range of PFAS and allow tailored solutions for PFAS immobilisation in soil.
This Project will assist the PhD Student to develop skills in material and soil science, environmental chemistry, analytical techniques and soil management. It also provides an opportunity for the Student to work with RemBind.
The successful candidate will receive the following benefits:
- Admission to a university PhD program
- A four-year scholarship valued at $46,000 per annum (2024 rate)
- A project expense and development package of up to $13,000 per annum
- Supervision by CSIRO, an industry partner and the host university
- A 60 day Industry Engagement component with the industry partner
- A structured professional development and training package
The student must:
- be an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident, or a New Zealand citizen;
- meet University PhD admission requirements;
- meet university English Language Requirements;
- not have previously completed a PhD;
- be able to commence the Program in the year of the offer;
- enrol as a full-time PhD student; and
- be prepared to be located at the project location(s) that the University has approved and, if required, comply with the host university’s external enrolment procedures.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://scholarships.adelaide.edu.au/Scholarships/postgraduate-research/faculty-of-sciences-engineering-and-technology-set/csiro-1