Science is back at your local, serving up science stories of all sizes and flavours.
For three days in May, Pint of Science is popping up in cities and regional centres across the country featuring around 150 speakers. Fortunately, we have events right here in Adelaide at:
- West Thebby Social Club Thebarton
- Wheatsheaf Hotel Thebarton
You can jump onboard and hear from enthusiastic and engaging scientists and researchers covering topics such as psychology, agriculture, artificial intelligence, conservation, and indigenous yeast.
Among those presenting is Waite’s own Natalia Caliani, who will be speaking on Wednesday the 24th of May, about “Unlocking the Secrets of Indigenous Vineyard Yeast”.
Pint of Science Australia delivers science engagement through a national festival that builds the Australian public’s appreciation of science, contributes positively to combat inequity and negative stereotypes within the Australian science sector, establishes and supports cross-discipline collaborations, and celebrates and champions excellence in the Australian science and science engagement sectors.
Our fabulous artwork this year was created by Dr James O’Hanlon who works as a freelance creative at the intersection of art and science. His design features the pint glass as a cut-out rocket ship where miniature scientists are busily making science happen. Like the festival, he hopes it will draw attention to current Australian research and provide a launching pad for discussions about ways that everyone can take part in science.
The main festival takes place 22-24 May as part of the broader international festival: a fantastic celebration of science that reaches across the globe.
Pint of Science Australia is only possible by the amazing dedication and contribution from our volunteer team. We have a crew of hundreds of passionate science-interested volunteers who power the whole operation.
What’s on near you…
Monday 22 May
Rise of the [agricultural machines] – West Thebby Social Club
- Application of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics in Smart Farming – Dr Yongliang Qiao
- Sustainable Environment Management with Innovative Technologies – Dr Jayant Keskar
Optimise your Mind – Wheatsheaf Hotel
- Buildings and Brains – Dr Isabella Bower
- Optimal Timing of Health Behaviours for Shiftworkers – Dr Charlotte Gupta
Tuesday 23 May
Battling the Bugs – Wheatsheaf Hotel
- The Unexpected Talent of Lymphatic Vessels – Dr Anna Oszmiana
- Seeing the Invisible Bacteria with Tiny Fat Droplets – Santhni Subramaniam
Wednesday 24 May
Nurture Nature – West Thebby Social Club
- Unlocking the Secrets of Indigenous Vineyard Yeast – Natalia Caliani
- The Value of Healthy Access to Nature – A/Prof Patrick O’Connor
The Uprising – Wheatsheaf Hotel
- AI: Sci-Fi to Reality – Philip Kalogeras
- Revenge of the Nerds – The Time Has Come for Web 3.0 – Dr Charlie Hargroves
Tickets are $8 online or $10 at the door. Get your ticket here.
For more information contact Katie Hannan – email@example.com