SARDI staff from across the campus came together last Friday to recognise and celebrate the individuals and teams who have made exceptional contributions to SARDI, industry and the community during 2018.
The winners for each category of the 2018 SARDI Achievement Awards were:
- Publication of the Year – awarded to Kym Perry, Greg Baker, Kevin Powis, and Jo Kent for the publication Cryptic Plutella species show deep divergence despite the capacity to hybridize. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 18(1), 77.
- Breakthrough Innovation of the Year – awarded to Dr Paul Verma for developing a method that is able to direct the machinery of reproduction to produce single-sex offspring.
- Delivery to Industry – awarded to Dr Alan McKay for delivering high quality research and diagnostic services to Australian agricultural industries.
- Research Support Award – awarded to Dr Margaret Evans for supporting and mentoring young researchers in the Plant Health and Biosecurity Science Program.
- Excellence in Work Health and Safety – awarded to the staff working in the SARDI Agronomy Program for their efforts to improve workplace safety and reduce manual handling risks.
- Service to SARDI – awarded Dr Simon Bawden for his enthusiasm, energy and dedication to SARDI while Acting Research Chief of Livestock & Farming Systems.
“I was impressed by the high calibre of work and research of the award winners as well as the many significant achievements nominated for awards this year, which I believe reflects the dedication of SARDI staff and the value of their work in our division, industry and community,” said SARDI Executive Director, Dr Peter Appleford.
“I’d also like to acknowledge staff who received certificates for 20 years and 40 years of service. Again this highlights the dedication and commitment our staff have to their work.”
Dr Kathy Ophel Keller accepting the Excellence in WHS award on behalf of the SARDI Agronomy Program
Dr Alan McKay receiving the Delivery to Industry award
Prof Gavin Begg accepting the Breakthrough Innovation award for Dr Paul Verma
Greg Baker accepting the Publication of the Year award
Dr Tara Garrard accepting the research support award on behalf of Dr Margaret Evans