Congratulations to Dr Caitlin Byrt who has won the 2017 Winnovation Award in the Science category. The awards were presented at an event on Friday 6th October as part of the 2017 Open State Festival.
The Winnovation Awards showcase and celebrate the successes of female innovators changing the game in South Australia. They are an inititive of Women in Innovation SA, a not-for-profit organisation that exists to support innovative women working in S.T.E.A.M. + Intrapreneurs, entrepreneurs and the businesses that support them across South Australia.
Caitlin is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the University of Adelaide’s School of Agriculture, Food and Wine here at Waite. Her expertise is in the area of plant biology, particularly as it relates to membrane transport and cell wall biology. The main focus of Caitlin’s research is identifying traits that influence cereal crop productivity.
“The Winnovation event created an excellent opportunity to learn about what is happening broadly in the innovation sector in SA, network with a cohort of interesting and inspiring people, and promote our activities here at Waite,” Caitlin said.
“I greatly appreciate the support of our research committee which made this opportunity possible”.
This year, awards were presented in 11 categories:
- Science – sponsored by Department of Water, Environment and Natural Resources
- Technology – sponsored by Maddern Patent Attorneys
- Engineering – sponsored by University of South Australia
- Arts – sponsored by Zonte’s Footstep
- Maths & Data – sponsored by TechIn SA
- Emerging Innovator – sponsored by HEGS
- Open –sponsored by HEGS
- Rural, Regional and Remote – sponsored by Bendigo Bank
- Innovation in Government – sponsored by Department of Defence (Science and Technology)
- Women’s Initiative in Business – sponsored by Office for Women
- Social Impact – sponsored by SA Power Networks