Location: Waite campus, Urrbrae
Salary: $81,352 – $90,220
Job type: Long term contract up to 30 June 2022
Closing date: Monday 12 August 2019, 11:45PM
Reference number: 354548
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Research Officer (Grape Maturity Management) to be part of the South Australian Research and Development Institute within PIRSA. The role reports to the Principal Scientist, Viticulture – Dr Paul Petrie.
The Senior Research Officer – Grape Maturity Management is responsible for conducting the ‘Managing and Modelling Vintage Compression’ project. Vintage compression occurs when grapes mature over a shorter than typical period, and places pressure on harvesting equipment and winery infrastructure. The successful candidate will use a variety of modelling approaches to relate seasonal conditions to grape phenology in order to better understand the environmental drivers of vintage compression. They will also conduct field trials into a range of management options to spread fruit maturity in the Riverland.
Primary Industries and Regions SA, as a key economic development agency of the South Australian Government, works across a diverse range of industry sectors including agriculture, livestock, forestry, fishing and aquaculture and regional development. We involve and engage with others to ensure we make good decisions, have clear policies, plan and implement effective programs, drive relevant projects, promote efficient resource use and broker shared responsibility. In this way we enable the State’s primary industry sectors and regions to remain competitive, productive and sustainable.
This is a contract / term vacancy up to 30 June 2022
- Located at the Waite Campus, Urrbrae and the appointee will be required to travel between the Riverland, Barossa and Waite Campus on regular basis.
- Some out of hours work and country travel will be required.
- A preparedness to undertake field work in a range of weather conditions.
- May be requested to assist with activities associated with other projects at times.
- A current Class C drivers licence is essential
- A post-graduate qualification is desirable.
For full details, position description and to apply, visit: https://pir.sa.gov.au/top_menu/pirsa_careers/careers/senior_research_officer_grape_maturity_management